You would like to do a mass update of the *.cnk file for Rockton Software products using a batch file.
You can use this batch file information to do a mass update of workstation *.cnk files.
*Please read all of the information before starting, as there are several important recommendations to follow:
IF EXIST O:\gpmap.txt GOTO CONTINUE
NET USE O: \\ServerName\SharedFolder
XCOPY “O:\ FilesForGP \*.*” C:\Program Files\Great Plains 10\ /D /C /u
START C:\Program Files\Great Plains 10\Dynamics.exe Dynamics.set
Batch File Requirements
File Names can be anything as long as you modify the batch file accordingly.
- A shared folder on a server that is accessible by the workstation.
- An empty text file named gpmap.txt resides in the shared folder.
- A folder named FilesForGP resides on the share.
- This is where you save new *.cnk files.
Batch File Explanation (what the batch file does)
- See if the workstation can see O:\gpmap.txt.
- If it can, then the workstation must be mapped to the correct share. If not, go ahead and map drive O: to the correct share.
- Copy all files found in FilesForGP to C:\Program Files\Great Plains 10
- The switches /D /C /U say to only copy the files that are newer than the dictionaries you have (/D), to keep copying if there are errors (/C), and verify the copy (/U).
- And finally, now that the workstation has all the newest files, launch GP like normal.
Batch File Usage
- Save the above code to a batch file and name it something like Launch GP.bat and copy the batch file to the workstation.
Modify the Dynamics GP shortcuts
- On each workstation, there are usually two shortcuts to launch Dynamics GP. One is usually on the desktop and the other under Start Menu | Program Files, depending on how the user has it setup.
Example of Start Menu Location:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Dynamics\GP 2015
Example of Desktop Shortcut Location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics\GP2015
- These shortcuts usually point to something like C:\Program Files\Great Plains 10\Dynamics.exe Dynamics.set, but this can vary depending on your version and where you installed Dynamics GP.
- Change these shortcuts to point to the new batch file.
- Whenever you receive a new dictionary, you update one workstation and unchunk a dictionary to that workstation.
- Then copy the unchunked dictionaries to the FilesForGP share on the network.
- Then, each user who launches their local icon on their desktop will get that updated dictionary.
For information on a silent install, take a look at the following KB article.
Performing a silent install of Rockton Software products. (Unattended/Silent Installation):https://www.rocktonsoftware.com/gp/resources/knowledge-base-item/lists/kb_allproducts/how-can-i-do-a-silent-install-of-rockton-software-products