The information here describes why the Inactivity Timeout tool is logging you out of Microsoft Dynamics GP (GP) while you entering a transaction.
Although it is uncommon, you may find that when you are logged into GP and you working in certain windows that you are logged out by the Inactivity Timeout tool. This is due to a couple of common causes.
- Some windows are written in such a way that they may not perform any table accesses except when the window is first loaded.
- Some windows may not contain any of the common buttons that the Inactivity Timeout tool looks for. Or, if they do, then they are not the same buttons that most GP windows use. Instead, they are buttons that were created specifically for that window.
Fortunately, there is a way that you can tell the Inactivity Timeout tool to look for interactions with other buttons on certain windows and to consider those interactions to be an “activity” in the system. This is done by adding Additional Activity Controls as follows:
- Go to Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools | Setup | Dynamics GP Toolbox | System Settings.
- Double click Inactivity Timeout.
- Click Advanced.
- Click the Add New Activity Control button.
- In the Add Activity Controls window, follow the instructions listed in the top of the window on how to add activity controls.
- Please see the Notes section below for more details regarding the Add Activity Controls instructions.
- Repeat these steps for any other window in which you need to add Activity Controls for.
Once you open the desired window for the first step in the Add Activity Controls window, click on the button or other control on that desired window that you want to be considered as an “activity” in the system. You will notice that the names of each field that you click on or tab to will show up in the Control field in the Add Activity Controls window.
When you have clicked on the button or field in the desired window that you want to add, click the Add Control button in the Add Activity Controls window. You can add as many buttons or fields (controls) as you would like to on the desired window.
When you are done, close the desired window which will automatically close the Add Activity Controls window. You will see the controls that you added are now in the Inactivity Timeout Advanced Settings window. If you need to delete a button or field, you can highlight the button or field, and then click the Remove Activity Control button.