- 2 pounds raw peanuts in shells (or green peanuts)
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cajun seasoning (or creole seasoning)
- 1-3 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4+ quarts water
- INSTANT POT BOILED PEANUTS: (77-93 Minutes)
- Place the peanuts in a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot. Add the salt, cajun seasoning, crushed red pepper, liquid smoke, and garlic powder. Pour in 4 quarts water… Or enough to cover the peanuts when you push them down.
- Lock the lid into place. Set on Pressure Cook High for 77 minutes for green peanuts or 93 minutes for raw peanuts. Once the timer goes off, perform a natural release. Once the steam button drops it’s safe to open the Instant Pot.
- STOVETOP BOILED PEANUTS: (2-8 Hours)
- Place a large 6-8 quart dutch oven over high heat. Add the peanuts, salt, cajun seasoning, crushed red pepper, liquid smoke, and garlic powder. Pour in 4+ quarts of water, or enough to cover the peanuts when they are pushed down.
Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir well, then lower the heat to a mild simmer. Cover and cook for 2-3 hours for green peanuts or 6-8 hours for raw peanuts. Check the water level every hour and add warm tap water if needed.
CROCK POT BOILED PEANUTS: (22-38 Hours)
Set out a large 6+ quart crock pot. Add the peanuts, salt, cajun seasoning, crushed red pepper, liquid smoke, and garlic powder. Pour in 3-4 quarts water, or enough to cover the peanuts when they are pressed down.
Cover the crock pot and set on low. Cook for 22-24 hours for green peanuts, and 36-38 hours for raw peanuts. Add water every 8 hours if needed.
Recipe and image from A Spicy Perspective