Setting up and maintaining security in Microsoft Dynamics GP is the responsibility of the GP Administrator. If you want to ensure information security, this isn’t something that should be placed on the back burner. Each of your employees can be assigned a user role in the company, and the GP Administrator can set up security based on those roles. Taking the time to understand how each role will function in the company and setting up security parameters based on those roles will not only mitigate risk, but also ensure your employees are performing their job and duties correctly.
Here Are a Few Tips to Get Your GP Administrator Started and Ensure Information Security
- Create Security Tasks specific to the actions your employees/users are performing. Keep each Security Task unique. For example: a user needs to enter Payroll Transactions.
- Create a Security Task called Payroll_Trx_Entry.
- Now, create Security Roles specific to the roles in your company. For example: a user manages the payroll department.
- For this Security Role, you could name it Payroll_Mgr.
- Next, assign the appropriate Security Task(s) to the Security Role(s).
- Finally, assign the Security Roles you’ve created to your employees/users.
Over time, you might find employees/users needing access to different windows or reports. We recommend verifying that they should have security to it, then reviewing which current Security Task and Security Role has access to it. Once you’ve vetted the request, create and/or assign security as needed.
What About New Users?
When adding new employees/users in the system who will be working in the same roles as other users, you can reduce the set-up time by using the “copy features” in the User Setup Window. Additionally, you will ensure information security by using the parameters you have already created.
For more advice for Dynamics GP Admins just like this, download our new eBook, 8 Tricks of the Trade for Microsoft Dynamics GP Administrators, that is chalk full of tips that every Dynamics GP Administrator will find helpful in their daily routines.